Tuesday, December 28, 2010

"Me, Myself and well....I"

So if you don’t know me very well, let me give you a little background…
I’m not a planner.  At least I didn’t used to be…
I’m a “spur-of-the-moment” type of guy.  When people used to ask me what I was doing on the weekend, I would look at them and say “Seriously? That’s like 2 days away. I have no clue.” That kind of mindset was all fine and dandy, until I got married….
My wife takes the other approach. She’s the type of person that if we are planning a trip, she wants to know what room #, what floor, what direction the building is facing, etc…(maybe not THAT bad, but you get the idea…  Love you Meg! :P)
As we grow in our marriage, I have really noticed myself getting out of the phase of not caring what tomorrow holds, and really start looking and planning for the future...almost too much. I mean I’m to the point where I have finances sort-of mapped out, 401k, stock options, the whole works…
Now planning for the future is not a bad thing by any means, in my opinion, but as it stands, my future is solely based on our individual performances, with little or no faith involved. I mean seriously. Think about it: A well paying job, a cushy savings account, and a retirement plan that takes care of the rest. Where am I involving God in all that? I’m basing the rest of my life on myself. And that is BAD news…
What I’m getting at is, I want God to plan my future. I want to be totally satisfied with WHATEVER God has in store for us. If that means selling everything we own and moving to India, so be it… I want to be an obedient servant that is not deaf to the voice of the Holy Spirit.  He tells us that we are granted the treasure of Heaven as long as we are obedient to His call!  The gift of Heaven…
That’s heavy.
I want that.
God deserves to be the planner of our lives. He is the center of the universe and Creator of everything we love and know.  How foolish of me to think I can do better than that myself…


Also, if you haven’t read Radical by David Platt…it’s legit. Totally worth every penny!

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud to call you my husband! I'd move to India with you babe; if it were God's will I'd move anywhere with you :) I loved our chat at lunch today, you brought so many things to my mind that I had never thought of before. I'm proud of you dear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good word! I hear Indian food is legit! You'd look good in a turban!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! You are wise beyond your years. God is gonna use your heart for Him... that's for sure.

    PS - I got Fester "Radical" for his stocking this year.

    ReplyDelete